Are you a healthcare professional working a travel assignment, or maybe working PRN shifts when you can? Nebraska might not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of exciting urban adventures. But let me tell you, this Midwestern gem has plenty to offer! From the buzzing capital city of Lincoln to the vibrant Omaha, Nebraska’s major cities are brimming with unique experiences waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re a local looking for new activities or a visitor planning your trip, let’s dive into the top things to do in these charming Nebraska cities.
Table of Contents
Lincoln – The Capital of Culture:
1. Lincoln, Nebraska’s capital, is a thriving hub of culture and history. Begin your journey by strolling through the Historic Haymarket District. This lively area is packed with trendy boutiques, art galleries, and delicious eateries.
2. If you’re not into history, try out a Huskers football game, or head over to Prehistoric Putt, an indoor dinosaur-inspired minigolf course that is fun no matter how old you are!
3. For nature enthusiasts, the Sunken Gardens is a must-visit spot. These beautifully landscaped gardens showcase an array of vibrant flowers and sculptural elements, making it a picturesque oasis in the heart of the city.
Omaha – Where Urban Meets Fun:
4. Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska, is a fantastic blend of big-city amenities and Midwestern charm. Get your creative juices flowing by exploring the Joslyn Art Museum, which houses an impressive collection of American and European art. You can also immerse yourself in history at the Durham Museum, located in a stunning art deco train station.
5. For a day of family-friendly fun, head to the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium. Home to the world’s largest indoor desert and the largest indoor rainforest, this zoo offers an unforgettable experience for animal lovers of all ages. My family made unforgettable memories at the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, and as an adult, I have the same amount of fun.
Nebraska’s major cities may not be on everyone’s radar, but they have plenty to offer in terms of culture, history, and adventure. Whether you’re exploring Lincoln’s vibrant arts scene, immersing yourself in Omaha’s museums, or witnessing the majestic migration of cranes in Grand Island, you’re sure to find hidden gems in these charming cities. So, the next time you’re planning a trip or looking for something new to do in your hometown, give Nebraska a chance—prepare to be pleasantly surprised!